Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fuji 6

I have almost my own tradition, every year climb mt. Fuji. This time it was the 6th. I don't do it alone, as Fuji itself is actually boring, so I found one guy on Internet. This time I decided to use simplest route from Subaru line gogome (go-gome is 5th station)
But I could not do it as planned, it became too crowded, probably because of UNESCO. Usually I could easily buy ticket for bus going directly to Subaru line gogome just 1 hour before departing, but this time next available bus was after 4 hours, also we were warned about traffic problems. So we just took train, it's actually more expensive and slower than bus.
But happened something very unusual for Japan, trains on the line we needed delayed for more than 40 min.
Somehow we got to Kawaguchiko line, our last transfer. The car was full of children paintings of mt. Fuji.

Because of train delay we came after the main block of buses from train station to gogome and started climbing only at 5pm.
Weather was very good, actually it was good every time I climbed Fuji, only once I rescheduled to next week because for small rain probability.

Japanese prefer to have a rest before the final push. Some do it inside for a fee, other do it on benches or just ground. But we decided to move forward.
Because of numerous shops mt. Fuji is one of easiest mountains in Japan. Here we bought hot udon and cacao.
Finally we got to the crater at 2am. We planned to do it at the midnight, but it was ok, we still were much ahead of the main crowd and have not stood in the line to the top. Before sleep we crossed the top to the other side and found place where both sunrise and Fuji shadow should be visible. And also took few photos of starry sky.
We slept a bit before the sunrise, it was cold, but as I expected almost no wind. And finally the sunrise.
I tried to make fast motion video 30 times faster than normal, on full screen 1080p quality you can see small people on the edge of crater on the other side.

Just after sunrise the shadow became visible.
South side.

This is real top of Fuji.

We crossed crater back, slept another few hours and started climbing down.
And, as I always do after any hiking, we went to onsen. Still next day was painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment